The Aquatic Exercise Association is proud to present
Our Featured Researcher
Dr. Mary Wykle PhD
Mary Wykle, Ph.D. has been an adjunct professor of physical education at Northern Virginia Community College for the past 15 years. She is a member of the International Swimming Hall of Fame International Committee, was inducted into the Hall of Fame and received the John Williams Award for Adapted Aquatics. Mary is a senior presenter for the Aquatic Therapy and Rehabilitation Institute and a presenter for the Aquatic Exercise Association. She is also a member of the Aquatic Exercise Association Research Committee.
Mary developed and conducted the Performance Improvement Study on aquatic rehabilitation and exercise for the Proponency Office for Rehabilitation and Reintegration for the Army’s Office of the Surgeon General. She published the community based manual for Aquatic Programs for Injured Warriors and Athletes©.
Dr.Mary Wykle is known and recognized for the following work:
- Adapted Aquatic Programming for the U.S.Marine Corps: MCCS.
- Training course material for Lumbar Stabilization Exercises and Progressions; Multiplicity of Trauma; Lumbar/Pelvic Stability for Spinal Fusions; Suspended Pilates; Ai Chi for Lower Extremity Amputees; Transitioning Sports Rehab to Water; Grounding Ai Chi.
- A specialty certificate program for the Aquatic Exercise Association: Aquatic Pi-Yo-Chi™
- The manual for Risk Awareness and SafetyTraining; a renewal course called Risk Awareness in Therapy Settings; recommendedrisk management training for aquatic therapy practitioners.
Mary's recent recognitions include:
- The Global Award for Lifetime Achievement from Aquatic Exercise Association (2010)
- The Dolphin Award (2002)
- Selection to Who's Who in Aquatics (2002-2003-2004)
- WVU School of Physical Education Hall of Fame
- Four awards from the United States Army including the Outstanding Civilian Service Medal
- American Red Cross Clara Barton Honor Award for Meritorious Leadership
- Two awards from the American Red Cross special Citation for Exceptional Service
- Volunteer of the Year awards from various communities and associations